……for my weekly advert this past week but thankfully sufficient. However that means little extra for profit. It is the nature of the job, swings and roundabouts and so on. Other weeks find me swamped with work. As it happens this last week has given me the opportunity to do more at home as you will already know if you are a regular visitor here. It is Wednesday evening right now and I have one small electrical job to do in the morning. Maybe there will be more this week, who knows?(update-there was!) This morning I arose very early because I wanted to finally fill in the gaps between the stone slabs of the pathway we had constructed a few weeks ago. There is still more to fill in but those gaps are the small vertical ones between the upright slabs around the path and can be done later. I needed to get the work done this day as the weather forecast was for rain within the next twenty-four hours, plenty of time for the cement to set hard beforehand. It was a quarter before 7 o’clock and I was outside with the necessary materials to start the job. I had prepared a mixture of sand, grit and cement as a mortar rather than just sand and cement as it is more hard wearing for walking upon. We have a path immediately behind the house constructed using the same mix that was laid 25 years ago and is as good as the day it was laid. Prior to filling the gaps of course I had to get on my hands and knees to scrape out the soil and other debris that had filled them over the weeks since the slabs were laid. Once I’d done that I put some small gravel chippings in the gaps and then covered them with the cement mixture but it wasn’t mixed with water, I deliberately left it dry. Once all the gaps were filled I sprayed the whole area with a fine mist of water from the hose pipe and let is wet the mixture slowly, finally increasing the spray a little to ensure it was all wet through. No need to smooth everything out as you would normally do for paving slabs. It would be impractical with natural stone because it hasn’t smooth or even straight edges. Using grit in the mixture also makes the fill turn grey making it blend in better with the natural stone. I had the area done before 9 o’clock. Whilst I was wearing my overalls I thought I’d go into the cellar room we are converting to a toilet and see how easily I could remove the floor tiles for when I level out the floor. Presently it slopes somewhat. The tiles are around 40 mm or more in depth and are square in shape with sides measuring something like 200 mm or so. They are the original fired clay tiles that were laid throughout the cellar when the house was built in 1877. They look similar to the wooden tiles shown in the picture.
They are laid directly onto sand. Many of them in the room are broken anyway and would have required covering over had I not intended to remove them. I want to lower the floor slightly in any case in order to make the most of the floor to ceiling space as the ceilings in the cellar are not that high though high enough at around 2.2 metres. I removed a few then left it for another day. I need to remove the old patchwork ceiling before I remove the floor tiles so that I have something solid on which to stand! Putting a new ceiling up can be done when the floor has been sorted out. It is all about planning and in which order things need to be done. It was lunchtime when I’d stopped working and after lunch I drove to the ‘Homebase‘ store to buy four plastic storage boxes for use inside the new freezers. They will make access much easier. Later in the afternoon I wasn’t feeling too good. I was feeling weak and tired and it felt as though I was coming down with a cold. I was feeling much better later though.
Tomorrows Post All mixed-up