Looks like I have quite a bit of plumbing to do in the next couple of months or so. I was in receipt of a letter from United Utilities who informed me, us, and I suppose everyone else in the neighbourhood that a contracting firm would be calling in the near future on their behalf. The name of that firm sounds Polish or Latvian but that is neither here nor there, the main thrust of the work is to assess and ensure that waste water from baths and sinks, dishwashers and washing machines and similar equipment is connected to soil pipes together with toilet waste and not to rainwater drain and surface water drains. It is part of a directive from the Environment Agency who are concerned that untreated waste water doesn’t find itself in rivers and streams thus polluting them. Well that is commendable and right but it is going to leave many people with the headache and inconvenience of re-organising their domestic waste water pipe installations, our house included. At present we have two large soil pipes both located on the west wall of the house, one near to the garage E uses and the other towards the other end of the same wall nearer the garden. See picture below. The first one takes away toilet waste from the downstairs wet room together with the ‘Saniflo’ waste (macerated waste) from everything in the en-suite bathroom adjacent to E’s bedroom. The Saniflo waste is over the little window and connects at the large elbow out of sight in this picture. The wet room waste is the one to the left flowing into the smaller cast-iron pipe. The wet room toilet waste is the larger pipe at the top. The other main soil pipe takes away the waste from the upstairs bathroom toilet only. See picture below. The horizontal pipe is the one I installed when refurbishing the bathroom. There are three rain and surface water pipes flowing into a grid but two of those pipes have baths and sink waste pipes connected to them. At the rear of the house we have a kitchen waste pipe flushing into a surface water grid and two sinks, one in the cellar and one in the room adjacent to the kitchen together with the waste from the dishwasher in the same room and the washing machine in the same room as the sink in the cellar, all flowing into another surface water grid. Other rain water pipes flow into dedicated surface water grids. The vanity unit sink in my bedroom flows into a rainwater downspout. All these sinks, baths and washing machines waste pipes need to be connected to the two soil pipes which entails quite some work to achieve. I have made a preliminary survey of what needs to be done and have come up with a solution to resolving the problem. It will mean installing an internal soil pipe arrangement in the laundry room into which all the waste water pipes (except for the kitchen waste shown in the next picture) at the rear of the house can be connected and it will have to run through the proposed new toilet room. That could prove an advantage when installing the toilet pan in there. The main bathroom bath and sink waste (the small white pipe in the picture above) will have to be connected to the existing soil pipe at high level whilst the other soil pipe near to the garage will have to be replaced in part with plastic to accommodate the waste from the wet room sink and floor drain. The kitchen sink waste will have to be re-routed out of the side of the house a couple of metres below the bathroom toilet waste as shown in the preceding picture.It will then connect to the main soil pipe on the right. By the way the rubbish you see bagged in the picture below all came out of the mound when we were digging it out a couple of months ago. We haven’t yet decided what to do with it but I’m sure we’ll think of something! The pipe is made of cast iron and may prove a little difficult to remove but fortunately it sits in a collar so may be easier than I think. After so many years of pipes being incorrectly connected they now decide it has all got to change. There may be the possibility of getting a grant to cover the cost in which case I will have the work done by others. If not then I will have to do it myself. I am capable and it can be done in stages to minimise the inconvenience.The following pictures show the pipes which must be removed and run inside the laundry room to connect to a new pipe which will eventually connect with the main soil pipe shown two pictures above but at low level. Plenty of work to be getting on with once I have assessed what materials I will need.
In the left picture the pipe on the right is the one from the sink in the room next to the kitchen and is the one that needs to be removed and re-routed into the laundry below. In the other picture there are three pipes coming through the wall which all have to be run inside the laundry to connect to a new drain. The window is in the laundry room.