I got up late on Tuesday morning, something of a rarity for me. I had no work scheduled though there is always something to do at home. My problem with home projects is that I am happy doing the major aspects of the work but tire easily at the thought of doing the ‘fiddly bits’. I wasn’t much in the mood to do any work at all if the truth be known and once lunch was over I felt even less inclined. I missed breakfast of course as I didn’t get downstairs until eleven-thirty! I asked E if she would like a coffee as I was about to make one for myself. I took mine outside with me into the front garden for I had decided to re-attach the flag and hoist it. If you remember I had taken it down because of the high winds we have been experiencing lately. When I purchased the pole and flags last year I couldn’t figure out how to set it up. At the lower part of the pole is a locked plastic lid which fits over a base in which are two holes. The rope is supposed to pass through one of them and onward to the top of the pole emerging over a roller and down to the flag. The lower end of the flag however has to be connected to a rope too and on poles where the ropes are exposed there will be two ropes or rather the same one going upward and returning down the pole. The system I have isn’t the same, the idea is that the rope goes to the top as I described above and the bottom part of the flag is fitted to a loop of rope which encircles the pole. That loop of rope though must have some weight to it in order to keep the flag hanging taut and also to enable it to be lowered because of the weight. The flag itself is not really heavy enough to allow it to drop down from the top when it needs to be lowered or removed. The rope inside the pole is heavy enough to counterbalance the flag unless some form of a weight can be placed at the lower part of the flag were it is attached to the loop around the pole. One of my flags has a length of rope attached at one corner and has a brass ring fitted in the corner above it whilst the second flag is fitted with two rings. Evidently the flags are designed to be attached to the ropes in a different way. Initially I made a small alteration to the arrangement which allowed the rope to enter the pole inside and emerge at the top and drop down to the bottom in a continuous loop but it caused problems when the wind changed direction as the flag became wrapped around the pole sometimes. On Tuesday I decided to arrange the rope as I think it was meant to be, totally inside the pole with the flag attached only at one point and the lower end of the flag attached to a separate loop of rope around the pole with an extra weight attached to enable it to be lowered easily. Without the weight it would be difficult to lower. There were no instructions with the pole when it arrived so I have had to work it out for myself. The extra weight I have used is an old handle that used to be on a curtain (drapes) rope. It was pulled in order to close the curtain. On it was a short length of waxed rope, ideal for use outside and the weight, whatever it is made of is covered in white plastic. So now the flag is flying again though when I purchase a replacement for the other flag (see post a few weeks ago) I may have to alter the arrangement I have at the lower end of the flag to enable the flags to be switched from one to the other with ease. That was basically my day! I did little else for a change.
If you click twice on the picture you will see the arrangement I had used previously with the rope but now that rope is not seen on the outside until the flag is lowered.