False alarm and stuff

Standard

I mentioned in another post that I had discovered a problem with my garage door for yet another time. It is the door shown in this picture taken a few years ago when we were having work done on the house. Old garageThe basic problem is with the two long springs at each side of the door which aid its lifting when done manually. Last year however I had the door converted to automatic control so an electric motor takes the strain instead but the springs were still required even so. As the engineer explained they also ease the load on the motor. The springs are connected to steel cables which over time corrode and break which is why I needed the engineer to replace them. He came to do the repair on Saturday afternoon. In the past I have done this work myself but I wanted to chat with the guy to discuss the possibilities of improving the system. We both agree that a replacement door is the only real solution and as we already have the motor and drive equipment installed it will only be the door itself that is replaced. The new door will have a different spring system and will be more compact thereby negating the need for steel cables. In the interim he has replaced those cables. He has also suggested we have a slightly wider door so that we can remove the existing wood frame which as it happens is beginning to rot at the base. Late on Friday afternoon I was called by one of my customers who had just lost power to her whole electrical supply. I was expecting the garage door engineer to call to fix the door but had not heard from him. I decided to call him but got no answer so I had to leave a message. I drove off to the lady’s house to help with her fault but when I was a mere 500 metres away she called me to let me know that her insurance company had sent an emergency call-out electrician. I carried on to the house just as he had finished his work. I had suspected a loose connection from what the lady had told me over the phone and indeed that is what it was. Fortunately there had been no damage to the circuit board though a protective terminal cover had melted. He advised a replacement board and I agreed for the one she has is old and fitted with fuses instead of circuit breakers and an RCD unit. After the electrician had left we discussed the possibility of changing the board and I was set to do it for her this week. Later at home she called me again and cancelled the work. She had been informed that the insurance company might replace the board free of charge. I didn’t mind losing the work since she would be getting a great deal. I did wonder though why an insurance company would pay to have the circuit board replaced when the old one wasn’t damaged. Most insurance companies I know wouldn’t do that. It may turn out they change their mind and ask her to pay after all. She said she would let me know one way or the other.

Shirley Anne

Advertisements

Comments are closed.