Well in the top room to be precise. I have had some free time at home lately and it has enabled me, with the help of E, to get on with the top room refurbishment. On Friday we were able to strip the room of its carpet and generally tidy up after which I made inroads into altering the worktops and shelving. On Saturday morning We took the opportunity to do more work in there but only until lunchtime at around 1.30. I removed some under the worktop shelving and some support struts for the main worktop then strengthening it to allow only one support to be used instead. This support was by way of a panel rather than a post which made everything even more sturdier. You can see the panel beneath the long section of worktop in this picture. The mark on the wall beneath the worktop centre of picture is where the removed shelving was fitted. It all doesn’t sound much but it is all sawing, shaping and screwing timber and it takes its toll especially when the timber has to be cut down in the cellar and the work is at the top of the house, three levels higher! They say living in a house with stairs is far healthier for the heart but we have the equivalent of about four flights of stairs from the cellar to reach the top of the house. There are actually 53 steps and the average number of steps on a staircase in a two-storey house is 13! I have lost count on the number of times I have had to make that 53 step journey lately and of course I had been carrying weighty items with me too. No wonder I get so tired at times. E has been filling in all the holes and gaps in the wood work ready for it to be painted later and lending me a hand when it was needed. Basically all the construction alterations are now complete and soon we will be ready to begin the actual task of decorating the room, starting with the sloping ceiling.
Here is another picture showing the remainder of the worktop near the window where I fitted a side panel also on Saturday… Also in the pictures you can just about see the two electrical boxes beneath the worktop. One (third picture on the right hand side) contains terminals connected to some of the ceiling lights in many of the rooms in the house and the other (first picture in the centre) alongside that box contains an interface unit designed and constructed by myself which when connected to a computer will allow the computer to switch on those lights. It is not in use at the moment as it needs modifying to allow a USB connection. There are also a number of power outlets located beneath the long worktop out of sight and were there to power computers, printers and scanners many years ago. There are holes in the worktop surface to allow cables to pass below it and out of sight whilst keeping the worktop free of cables. E will use the same method for connecting the machinery she intends using in the room. The third picture also shows a vent beneath the short worktop. A fireplace once graced the room in that position as the vent is in the chimney stack and the floor in front of it has a stone base set into it. We figure there had been possibly fifteen fireplaces in the house when it was built in 1887 with four chimney stacks serving them judging by the remnants left throughout the house. Coal must have been very cheap to buy else they were that rich it didn’t matter!
We will be painting all the timber in white. As you can see from the pictures there exists a mish-mash of worktop surfaces which was the result of adding sections over a couple of years when materials became available. We were obviously not that fussy about what it all looked like and just concentrated on getting something fitted for immediate use. I hasten to add that this was the only room treated that way!