Storm after the calm

English: Piles of wood chippings, Brokes Wood
Piles of wood chippings, Brokes Wood (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

I know, I know, the usual saying is the other way round, ‘The calm before the storm’ but on Monday the day here started beautifully and ended up the opposite. Brilliant sunshine, slight winds for the first half of the day turned later to cooler and a wetter time. It was forecast to pass during the night with a return to brighter though brisker weather to follow for a few days. Well it is the UK! For a short time I sat out on the patio with a book and a cup of coffee but after a while I could hear the sound of an alarm of the type usually fitted to large vehicles to sound when the vehicle is reversing. It sounded as if a large vehicle was slowly reversing down the long cul-de-sac located at the top of our road. It was Monday so it was more than likely the green waste collection crew. I had placed our two wheelie bins out into the road on Sunday evening but I decided to check to see if there was any more green waste I could dispose of before they were emptied. I did find something and I placed it in the bin. I waited for the vehicle to draw up near to the house as by this time they weren’t far off. I collected the empty bins, placing one of them in the rear garden and leaving one in the front. A couple of days ago I mentioned something in my post about the possibility of covering the exposed soil in the two flowerbeds in the front garden with wood chippings. We had a couple of large bags of chippings in the garage and a couple of smaller bags filled with the chippings produced  by ourselves a few months ago when I had pruned back two of the apple trees in the rear garden. I thought I might as well get the job done whilst the weather was fine and whilst I had the spare time but before I did that I folded up and placed in the recyclable waste bins some of the large cardboard boxes that we couldn’t fit into the bins when they were last emptied. I then began speading the wood chippings and bark in the flowerbeds. It didn’t take me too long though I had barely enough to do the two beds. I think I will have to buy another small bag of the chippings to finish it but at least everywhere was covered. By the time I had finished the weather had already turned dull and overcast, ready for the heavy rain to follow later.

Shirley Anne


Author: Shirley Anne

Happy to be alive because of Jesus