Rising stones

Standard
Variegation in holly leaves

Variegation in holly leaves (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

I was sitting at home on Monday morning not expecting any calls for my electrical services mainly because I had cancelled my advert the previous Wednesday for the week. I mentioned in a post that it might not prevent my getting calls and indeed I had two jobs at the end of the week. Anyway I got a call on Monday on behalf of a former customer whose shower unit had sprung a leak. I arrived there about fifteen minutes later and attempted to secure the leak but discovered it wasn’t possible to gain a permanent repair. The lady was keen to simply have the unit replaced so I invited her along to purchase one. She is the type of person who takes an interest in things electrical or mechanical and she wanted to get involved with the replacement but there was little she could do aside from handing me the tools though I did give her a small job to do. Soon the new unit was fitted and working and I was on my way back home. It was too early for lunch so I watched a little television. E was busy in her new ‘workshop’, the top room we had refurbished recently. I had arisen very early and consequently had an early breakfast so I decided to have my lunch, it was one o’clock. E didn’t eat until around two o’clock and soon after she went out for a couple of hours. Having nothing special in mind to do, though there are plans afoot in the garden, I made a coffee and sat out on the patio but soon got bored so I wandered around and ended up at the ‘mound’ (see previous posts or search the word). Since reconstructing and developing that corner of the garden a couple of years ago numerous stones have appeared on top of the soil. This is quite normal where stones are present in the soil mass, even if they are quite deep under the soil. The smallest particles always get washed down to the bottom of any pile eventually and therefore the largest stones are systematically ‘pushed’ upwards until they arrive at the top. If you have the time to read the posts I wrote in the early summer of 2014 you will understand why the soil was so full of stones in the first place. There were even pieces of glass, slate and metal in among the original composition. Much of those things were filtered out as best as we could do at the time but not all of it. This is why we have stones still appearing on the soil. I put on a pair of gloves and with a trowel and a large bucket in hand I set about collecting as many as I could find both on the surface and beneath. It didn’t take too long before the bucket got filled. I plan to fill more of the empty spaces with plants and perhaps one or two more stone slabs of which we still have plenty. All the natural stone in and around the mound and in the flowerbeds in both the rear and front gardens were dug out of the original much larger mound that filled that corner of the garden in 2014. Having cleared away the stones my attention was drawn to the variegated holly tree that I had rescued from the jungle that had surrounded it in December (see post on 10th) last year. At that time the holly was leaning far to its right trying to reach daylight and after clearing the surrounding trees I propped it up to encourage it to grow more vertically. Well it has begun to straighten up but to encourage it further I removed the now redundant old prop and fitted a new one which is applying more force. I did the same thing with another variegated holly further along the same flowerbed a few years ago and which stands tall, full and erect. It was time to water the garden, especially all the new plants which need that extra attention until they are fully established. I was happy that my day had ended up anything else but wasted and I’d had something to do.

Shirley Anne

Advertisements

Comments are closed.