Manufacturing mode

Standard

So there I was on Friday morning again with no electrical work and the whole day to myself. In yesterday’s post I mentioned I was going to build a stand for one of the new table lamps I had purchased. Soon after I had written the post I found myself in the rooms at the top of the house looking for something and discovered two suitable candidates for a table lamp to sit upon. Both would have needed painting white and the furniture on them would have needed changing to match what is already in the small lounge. Ah but alas they belonged to one or both of my two sons and though I doubt either of them were actually wanted by my sons there was no way I was going to take one or even ask. No, I had made up my mind to manufacture one myself so after breakfast I began the work. The first task was to find enough material from the stock of left-over bits and pieces from jobs we have had done in the past. I have always kept the scrap lengths of timber or sheets of board that were left after a job we’d had done as long as they were large enough to warrant keeping them. As we have cellar rooms there is plenty of storage space to allow that. After finding enough material I began by cutting four pieces of board to size which I would use for the side panels. Next I found some lengths of square sectioned wood to use for fixing the sides together to form a hollow square tube. I cut another piece of board to form a base and fixed that to the tube. Finally I found a slightly larger piece of board with which to form the top. Here is the almost completed pillar…..

I placed it in the cellar hallway in order to take the photograph. The work was done in the room we call the workshop to the bottom and right of this shot. It is called the workshop for a very good reason….it is one! Many a job has been carried out in that room over the years. The picture doesn’t show the fact that when it was taken the top had yet to be fixed. I did that next and then gave the whole thing a coat of priming paint. Once that was dry, about two hours later, I filled in all the gaps. It will need sanding down before another coat of paint is applied.

Shirley Anne

Advertisements

Comments are closed.