I’d a good night’s sleep on Thursday but arose still feeling a little tired. We were forecast to have a few showers during the morning but as it was still dry around ten o’clock I thought I might see if I could do something about the drain pipe connected to the water butt. The pipe allows excess rain water to flow to the main drain at the side of the house once the water butt is full to the brim. However, since constructing the stone bench it was now in the way as I intend to fit a back rest on the wall behind it.
We have at home a lot of plumbing materials including left-over pipes and recovered pipes from previous works and I was wondering if there was enough pipes and fittings of the right size to use to re-position the drain pipe. After a search I finally found what I needed except for some fixing brackets which I will have to purchase next time I am out from the house. At least the system can remain in use in the meantime I have had to place a couple of bricks beneath the pipe to support it.
No sooner had I packed away the tools and it began to rain heavily. I checked the grid into which the piped water flows and it was pouring out as it should. By now it was approaching noon and E and I sat down with a drink, chatted and watched some television until it was time to eat. A few days earlier she had asked me to help fit some shelving in the room we transformed into her workshop early last year but I had forgotten until I began thinking about projects at lunch. After lunch therefore we both went upstairs to see what could be done. When I stripped out the room to refurbish it I removed some shelving and brackets and had stored them away. It was easy enough for us to refit once she had decided what she wanted.
More shelves can be added by simply fitting extra brackets into the supports. All in a day’s work as they say.