Coincidence

Standard
Dishwasher, open and loaded with dishes

Dishwasher, open and loaded with dishes (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

A week or so ago I went next door to disconnect a dishwasher for my neighbour who was having a new one delivered and didn’t want to pay for the disconnection of the old one. I obliged and did the job for her though she employed someone else to install the new one at my request. I could foresee likely problems because of the layout of her services and advised the services of her plumber. All went well apparently and her new dishwasher is working fine. On Monday last week E informed me that she was having problems with our dishwasher. First of all it went into an alarm status which according to E was soon dealt with by switching the machine off and then starting it again. It evidently hadn’t worked and we were at a loss as to what the fault might be. Basically it wasn’t filling with water and E asked if I could check it out. Although I have never serviced or repaired dishwashers I was prepared to check the basics. As with most modern equipment they are not readily serviceable unless by a service engineer who is familiar with the operation. Naturally I was keen to see if there was anything I could do in searching out the fault so I gave it a go. A number of months ago I ended up servicing a fridge-freezer at home because the service engineer hadn’t solved the problem we had with the unit. On that occasion I was successful in locating and correcting the problem but this time I wasn’t even sure I could easily gain access to any tangible electrical or mechanical components if at all. I was right in that assumption, everything was well-hidden behind panels which had no obvious signs on how to remove them. First thing was to establish that the water supply to the machine was in order which it was, though that investigation led me to discover a problem with the manual water supply valve. It was jammed in the open position and I had to turn off the water supply to the house before I could check it out. I did that later but first I removed a couple of small panels on the machine in order to get at the inlet valve on the dishwasher. These valves are electrically operated (solenoid valves) and control the water flow into the machine. The valve was not electrically faulty but I wasn’t able to check for a mechanical fault. It appeared to me that the neutral supply to the valve was not there and if so the fault would lie further inside the machine. It was decision-making time. Should I make the attempt to strip down the machine, remembering I had no way of knowing the best way to approach it or if on getting inside I would be able to locate the fault anyway? If we called for the services of an engineer the cost would be high and if a fault was found it would cost money for any replacement parts and the time to fit them. Was the machine worth repairing as it was over fifteen years old? Probably not, so we opted to disconnect it permanently and purchase a new machine. As I don’t use the dishwasher, or haven’t bothered using it in the past I let E choose which model to purchase. We went on-line and purchased a new one which hopefully will be in use as you read this. I removed the manual valve to clean it out but I thought I might have to replace it instead.

Shirley Anne

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s