Sea shells

Trotting off to bed at nine in the evening meant I was rather tired and to be sure I fell asleep as soon as my head hit the pillow on Friday (26) night. Of course that meant I woke early on Saturday morning but it served a purpose. I could take an early morning walk and in doing so that in itself served a purpose too. E had mentioned a couple of days earlier that she would like some sea shells for use in her crafting hobby so I took along a couple of bags and on my way back home along the sea front I collected the said shells, a couple of hundred of them. They would keep her occupied for ages! At the same time I gathered some more pebbles and stones for use in the garden. I was back home at nine o’clock so had the rest of the morning before lunch free. I decided to do some more preparatory work for the garage project so I manufactured the bracket that would hold the reed switch and also secure the magnet on the door which would operate it.

The bracket will be screwed to the frame so that when the magnet reaches the fully open door position it will lie directly beneath the switch and operate it. There was one small snag just as there is always just one snag or another and that was to do with the positioning of the magnet. There was only one place it could be fitted and that was on top of the cover of the alarm box which is attached to the bottom of the door. It is the only place it can go if the circuit is to be installed. That wasn’t a problem, I removed the top of the box which in fact holds the electronic circuitry and there was a space beneath the circuit board which allowed me to drill two fixing holes for the magnet. The magnet is the white coloured strip on the grey box…..

The snag was that when the door was on its downward journey the newly fitted magnet interrupted the safety edge beam and stops the door then raises it automatically as it is supposed to. The safety edging strips needed to be moved further out by inserting some packing behind them. As a temporary measure I used nuts but I have to say I wasn’t pleased with the way they had been originally installed. I propose to remedy that by using some lengths of wood to secure the strips more firmly than they are at the moment. The safety edge is the black strip running vertically on the edge of the white framework. Behind it is a length of plastic strip which hasn’t been securely fixed. The opposite side of the door is the same. Simply poor workmanship on behalf of the installer. It will be corrected.

One job leads to another….

Saturday 27th January also marked the 45th anniversary of E and I meeting for the first time. Time for a celebration meal later in the week methinks.

Shirley Anne

Advertisements

Author: Shirley Anne

Happy to be alive because of Jesus

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s