It was Monday 12th Feb. and I determined I would get up early to make the most of the forecast fine weather. It had been somewhat blustery on Sunday but Monday promised wall to wall sunshine, ideal for being outdoors. I wanted to pay another visit to the builder’s yard to purchase more granite dust so soon after breakfast I drove along there and bought two bags (50 Kg). This was to mix a fine concrete as opposed to the heavy-duty one I mixed a couple of days ago using granite stones. It was to be used for the construction of the sloping sides around the pit.
The tiles you see are there to act as weights against the plywood holding back the new concrete. I wasn’t able to fill-in to the existing floor tile level at this stage but it is almost at that level. I finished working on the project for the day and covered the mixer as it had to remain outdoors until no longer required.
My next job was to section off that portion of the raised bed where the rhubarb was planted a few weeks ago and is now beginning to sprout. I used some paving edge tiles I had to separate the rhubarb from the rest of the bed. I raked some soil from one of the flowerbeds where there is an excess amount of it at the moment, at the same time digging out a few bluebells then transferring it to the raised bed. The soil there had been a little too low.Following on from that I pruned back the overgrown and now dormant ‘Mums’ (Chrysanthemums) growing in the planters on the Patio.
Now it was time for lunch. E went out later and I set about making the handrail and brackets I intend to fit to the metal post I set into the floor in the pit. It is going to be there for safety reasons for anyone entering the room now that the pit is there.