I was keen to carry on with the utility room project after an almost restful Sunday. I had gone into the garden in order to sweep up the first wave of fallen leaves from the lawn. We have an old push-along piece of equipment we inherited from somewhere many years ago. It has two large wheels at the front in between which is a metre-wide rotating brush that is driven by cogs within the wheels. Behind this setup is a large open container on a metal frame which is used to push it forward and in doing so collects the leaves as they are swept up. It kept jamming so I had to dismantle the wheels and do some repairs. I fancy it won’t last much longer and we’ll have to buy a new model but for now it works. It is Monday morning 8 th October as I write and I have just returned indoors after watering the rear garden. It is six o’clock. I finished breakfast just after three o’clock and went into the utility room in the cellar to paint the walls in the area around where the sink unit will stand. The exposed area around the fitted unit will be painted again later if required. It was just done to allow my installing the unit. I also painted the area of floor on which it will stand.
No doubt the rest of the rooms’ walls and floor will be decorated this way, bit by bit because there are some large objects in there which cannot be moved out of the room, the washing machine and the freezers. Some of the other things will be removed and some will be stored elsewhere but all that is in the future. For the moment I have to concentrate on the job in hand. The floor paint gives off noxious fumes and I had to wear my face mask when using it as I did on the other two projects in the cellar. Despite it being a small area of painted floor the smell lasted for hours. I would rather do the whole floor at once and be done with it but unfortunately that is impossible.