Wednesday morning saw me doing a spot of painting in the utility room I’m engaged in refurbishing. I began by painting the wall against which the next cabinet will stand, the same wall or side of the room I was concentrating on as I work around the room little by little. Once that was done I gave the floor beneath it a coat of the chlorinated rubber floor paint I had used elsewhere on other projects in the cellar (see older posts).
Eventually the whole floor will be painted as I move around the room. I can only work on sections of the room at a time because of the furniture (mostly freezers) in there. The parts of the floor beneath the new cabinets will only be painted once of course for there is no need for another coat when it will be hidden. In the picture above there will be the washing machine, another cabinet and a freezer. The patch you see couldn’t be painted until the following day because the cement I had put there to fill a hole hadn’t yet dried completely. Painting the walls doesn’t require wearing a mask as it is only a vinyl emulsion but the mask was necessary when painting the floor. The fumes given off with the chlorinated rubber paint are overpowering and possibly a health hazard if a mask isn’t worn. The fumes linger for hours so we keep the door down to the cellar closed until they subside. Later in the day I hoped to do more work down there but only if the fumes had dissipated, if not there would be plenty of work to do in the garden!