Not always

I could say, if I were vain and egoistic which hopefully I am not, that everything I do is perfect and never goes wrong. Then however I would be wrong for it is never true. I will say that much of what I do lasts the course but not always though I would add that sometimes it really isn’t my fault. We have to take things on trust else we wouldn’t get anywhere in life. As my readers will know I have been doing a lot of work in and around the house these last few years and actually ever since we moved in over thirty years ago! I’ve taken on board many projects and have successfully completed them to my best ability. Things did go wrong occasionally but that is as they say part of the course, it comes with the territory. Sometimes it has been my own fault and sometimes the materials I have had to work with. I will never say that when things go wrong it is the fault of the tools, only poor workmen/women blame their tools. Many a time I have purchased an item and discovered when installing or fitting it just how badly it had been designed which often made working with it more difficult than it should have been. Sometimes it would be the simplest of things which needed changing at the design stage for example a slightly longer screw instead of the ones supplied or ones with a pointed end to make inserting in a hole easier. This was often the case with lighting units. One hand would be needed to hold the item being fitted, one hand would hold the screwdriver whilst at the same time trying to manipulate a tiny flat-ended screw into a tiny hole and often it would be up on the ceiling. ‘It does what it says on the tin’ is an expression often used in advertising a particular product but does it always do what it is intended to do? Well no, not always. During work on my latest project I noticed a small amount of water dripping from the wet room’s drain located in the ceiling space of the room I was working in. I had constructed the wet room with E’s help a few years ago and at that time had much difficulty in securing a watertight floor seal around the drain.

Part of the reason was the design of the drain itself which I overcame by fitting a small part inside. The other reason was the tile cement and grout which although designed for the use we were putting it to nevertheless leaked twice! Now I had to effect another repair but this time I was going to use silicon rubber around the grid where the leak was coming from. The tile cement will remain beneath but above it will be around six millimetres of rubber. On Monday morning (3 Nov) after returning from a walk I got on my knees to inspect the floor in the wet room. Using a magnifying glass, as I had done before, I saw two small cracks in the otherwise seemingly sound filling around the grid. It took some time but I managed to dig out the grout/cement around the square stainless steel grid ready for filling later. Hopefully when that is done everything will be alright.

Shirley Anne

Advertisements

Author: Shirley Anne

Happy to be alive because of Jesus

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.