More on the project

It was Thursday morning and my day to do the weekly shopping but first I had to cast my vote in the local elections. As usual I was up early to do the shopping and as the polling station opened at 7 o’clock I decided to go there first. I was there at seven and they were still setting up! I was the first one there. Soon I was on my way to the supermarket and was back home before eight-thirty. After putting everything away I had a drink then was off out again to purchase the wood preserver I had forgotten to purchase the previous day and whilst at the builders merchant I purchased some plasterboard sheets for the ceiling together with the special screws and the joint tape which has to be applied before the ceiling is skimmed with plaster. I had received a late-night call from my eldest son who informed me that he couldn’t come along as planned to help lift the lintel in place because his wife had made other plans for the day. It didn’t matter though I did feel a little let down but that’s children isn’t it? Children? He’s actually 36 years old! Anyway I thought it best to get on with other things, hence the material purchases. On my return home I began by removing all the temporary coverings that were on the ceiling and then removed countless nails from the joists. I then systematically brushed the wood preserver over all the ceiling timbers. Evidence of historical woodworm infestation showed up in a couple of places on the joists but fortunately they were small patches and hadn’t spread. That would have been a nightmare to repair had there been serious damage to the timbers for they support the kitchen above. Anyway a good soaking of preservative will ensure no further problems, especially once the plasterboard is installed to seal it all off. Much of the timber had previously been treated with ‘Creosote’ which is no longer in use these days. Once that had been done and after lunch I decided to install two of the plasterboard panels but to do the others I would need to instal the electrical wiring for the recessed downlights and also slide the insulation over those I have fitted. I also have to drill the holes in the boards in which the lights will fit.

There had been a hole in the wall behind the left-hand panel in the picture at the back of which was a ventilation brick on the outer wall of the cavity. I had to block it off in case insects, especially wasps and bees get in and make a nest behind the plasterboard. The two identical panels were installed in different aspects to save wastage. They are both 3 ft x 4 ft (you do the conversion to metric). The one on the right looks larger but it isn’t. That was pretty much all I did that day.

Shirley Anne

Advertisements

Author: Shirley Anne

Happy to be alive because of Jesus

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.