It didn’t rain

At the end of yesterday’s post I mentioned the weather forecast for the rest of that day wasn’t very promising, rain and wind throughout. However after breakfast I decided to re-check the forecast for it had been the previous day when I last checked it. While out on my walk I had expected some rain to fall but it didn’t. Now the forecast was completely the opposite, no rain and hardly any wind so when I had finished my breakfast I decided to put on my overalls and work on the garden project with a view to completing the second stage which was filling the bottom of the trench with concrete. Three mixer loads later it was done..

As you can see the concrete is now laid all around the plot. On Monday (24 th) I hope to begin setting the cobbles in place around the perimeter. I will be using a fine concrete mix for that part of the project. After packing away everything until Monday morning I had a walk around the garden and noticed a problem on the lawn near to The Mound.

In the picture above you can see the dark patches (top centre) on the lawn. The lower patch is the soil I had scattered a dew days earlier for there is a dip on the lawn just there. The grass will grow through the soil in a few days. The other patch is the result of my digging there to remove roots coming from the damson trees in The Mound behind. Last year I had seen a tree shoot in the lawn which I dug out by removing about a metre of root. This time I saw yet more shoots so I decided to lift some grass and dig them out, hence the soil everywhere. Later this Autumn I had already planned to remove a couple of the damson trees from The Mound and cut back the others. This is the problem with fruit trees, they like to spread themselves through their root systems. It could be that we remove them altogether at some point for we don’t eat much of the fruit anyway.

Shirley Anne

Advertisements

Dreaded Ivy

The dreaded Ivy. It makes deciduous trees look like evergreen trees in the Winter and chokes them during the Summer.

The picture above shows a close-up of a neighbour’s ivy-covered tree which stands less than a metre from the garden boundary wall. You can see it on the right in this older photograph. It isn’t the only one with an ivy problem either but it is the one which stands closest to our garden wall.

This tree itself is a bit of a nuisance for it constantly sheds twigs and small branches whenever there is a strong wind and we are forever picking them off the lawn. Naturally it sheds its leaves in Autumn too but that is something we expect so clearing away the leaves isn’t a problem. However the ivy that clings to its trunk and branches is an added problem we could do without. At the moment it is shedding leaves and has been doing for several weeks. I suppose it is part of its normal cycle but even so I have had to sweep up leaves every couple of days to keep the garden tidy. The worst part of having ivy is that it likes clinging to things and isn’t fussy what things it clings to. A couple of years ago another neighbour had ivy spread over into her garden from the same garden where the tree I write about stands. At that time we too had to deal with it and rebuild part of the garden wall in the process. All I can do is to try to keep the ivy from spreading over into our garden. If it were my responsibility I would eradicate it wherever I saw it growing in  my garden. On Wednesday (30) I did just that, well part of it. I leaned over the wall and cut it back. The bare patch on the tree in the top picture is the result. I cut the ivy in several places which should stem its growth for a while. It would be nice if our neighbours would take more of an interest but they don’t. Personally E and I think they can’t cope with their large garden and simply lose interest in the more out-of-the-way or out-of-sight spots in it.

Shirley Anne

What a day!

Monday according to the weather forecast was the first day of a week of sunny days and it certainly set the bar high. It was May 14 and it was sunny throughout the day. These are the days I take to do my outside work of course which at the moment have put my indoor jobs on hold. The cellar storage room floor needs another coat of paint, well I think two coats is better than one, and I’ve still to fit the threshold and do the gym floor too. I had set my mind to get up early and cut back overhanging branches from a neighbour’s tree so after an early breakfast I set about doing that. It wasn’t a small job for I had to saw off a few large branches and that meant I had to do it whilst standing on the garden wall.

The tree in question is standing on the other side of the wall dead-centre in the pictures above and the branches reached out almost to a position over the footpath putting all the plants below in the shade. Four of the branches I let drop into my neighbour’s garden but one I had to let drop in ours. The neighbour’s garden just over the wall I hasten to add is a jungle of brambles, weeds and fallen branches which never get cleared. Anyway we had to cut up the branches which fell on our side so later on in the morning E and I got out the machine which produces chippings and put the smaller branches through it. The larger pieces we stored in the small greenhouse together with others already there.Perhaps you can see the machine (yellow in colour) standing behind the tall holly tree in the picture above, There are branches with leaves on the path to the left and bare branches on the other path to the right. Before we did that work we drove to the garden centre to buy more plants, about a dozen of them which we planted out later in the afternoon. Two of those we planted in the front garden but the rest we planted mostly in the two flowerbeds shown in the second picture. I mowed the lawn before we started chipping the branches and before we had a late lunch. If I’ve time I will post pictures of the new plants later.

Shirley Anne