More goings on

Up early, off for a walk, collected some more stones, returned home a couple of hours later and had a late breakfast. It was Thursday. It began well enough, bright and sunny but the clouds began to drift in and drop their load of rain. It got colder as forecast but it wasn’t too bad. E went to do the weekly shopping before noon, the second time in two weeks. She traditionally goes shopping in the afternoon but I fancy she has decided earlier is better. I think it is too as it leaves the rest of the day for her to do other things. I could go shopping with her but as she takes along her mom my presence wouldn’t be appreciated, I would spoil their routine. As it happens I don’t much like shopping for food so it suits me fine to stay away. I was able to concentrate on my little project. Having collected the necessary components I needed to build the interface unit for controlling the light in the garage I discovered I had a more suitable relay for the job. Initially I thought I had only one which operates on a 12 volt DC (direct current) supply which necessitates the use of a rectifier but I found I had one that operates on a 12 volt AC supply so I didn’t require the rectifier. This made the task far easier as I only required two components in the unit……

You can see the relay on the left inside the box and the transformer to the right. I rigged it up for testing by plugging it into a wall socket as it will be done when installed in the garage. I connected the reed switch (shown lying on the lid) in order to test the circuit. As the magnet was brought close to the reed switch the relay was activated. The integral switch in the relay will be used to switch on the light. The whole unit will only power up when the outside photo cell senses it is dark. The next phase is to install the wiring to the photo cell. Next I have to fix the reed switch in such a position to allow an existing magnet on the door to operate it when the door is opened and to install the wiring to the switch itself. Finally I have to purchase an LED floodlight then install the wiring to the control unit. As time permits I will get those things done.

Shirley Anne

Advertisements

Goings on

I wrote yesterday about our neighbour’s panic attack after she had discovered her dog had died. She doesn’t enjoy good health and is reliant upon her oxygen bottles else struggles to breathe some of the time. E and I were concerned that she was over-stressed but she finally calmed down whilst we were there. Today, Wednesday I called in to see her after I had earlier phoned to see if she was alright. Thankfully she had settled down and was her usual self. I had been exercising on the gym equipment soon after getting out of bed but at that time it was too early to call next door to check upon her. After my breakfast late in the morning I decided to sort out what pieces of electrical equipment I had in stock with which to build the circuit for the garage light project I have been mentioning in previous posts. Finally I was able to gather enough bits and bobs to make progress…..It always seems the way when searching for the right parts I have some of them but not all of them. I then find I have other suitable parts but not all of them are usable with the first lot. An example would be a reed switch which is only suitable in low-voltage situations., as here… That means a transformer is required and also a low-voltage relay. A low-voltage relay would use an alternating current and could be used directly with the transformer, if I had a suitable relay. I found I had a low-voltage relay which uses direct current and therefore added to the transformer I needed a rectifier too! Fortunately I did possess all the parts necessary after salvaging them from redundant electrical gear I had. I even found a suitable box in which to install them, see picture above. I left off working on the project as it was by now lunch time and after lunch I had some gardening work to do. First of all I had to sweep up more leaves again and it was then I began to notice montbretia and bluebells here and there in the flowerbeds. Once again I set about digging them out. This is an ongoing task. Most were removed early last year¬†but I always knew there would be more¬†appearing for a time.

Shirley Anne