It has been a few days since I did any more work in removing the bluebell bulbs and now growing plants in the rear garden. I had reached a spot just up to the little oak tree and there remained the area to its right and beyond though thankfully there seem to be only a few there. I have dug out around a dozen bulbs in the front right-hand flowerbed that had escaped filtering last year when I renovated the bed but as I write this I notice a few more beginning to show themselves. I am letting them grow just a little more so that I can locate them more easily when I dig them out within the next couple of days or weeks. Back to the rear garden though and here is the oak tree and the area beneath it and up to the stone markers I have placed in the soil which is now filtered. No doubt I will have missed some, hopefully few,
I am thinking of moving or removing altogether the little small-leaved holly at the rear by the wall and just to the right of those markers. There is another one further along and to its right beyond the edge of the picture. I spent three hours on Sunday morning to reach this point. I have raised the supporting bamboo pole that supports the variegated holly shown in the next picture and it is now standing upright when once it lay at 45 degrees. It had been struggling to reach daylight because of the trees that were there surrounding it. I removed those trees last year as a prelude to the current work of clearing out the flowerbed. Toward the other end of the bed in this picture is another variegated holly which had been suffering a similar fate until I cleared around it and gave it the support it needed. As you can see it is thriving and it is upright.
It may be a day or two before I can resume working in the garden but at least much has been done and the majority of the bulbs have been removed through hard work and perseverance. As always,click on the pictures to magnify.
Something had to change with the weather. Over the last few weeks October has been anything but October as far as the weather is concerned, it has been warm, dry for most of the time and sunny too. However on Friday and Saturday it became noticeably dull and damp. I have been working in the garden once again this time putting stone borders around a couple of flowerbeds as you have read in my recent posts. On those two days the humidity was so high the air was wet enough to create a very fine drizzle but so light it seemed to hang in space rather than drop to the ground. I wore overalls which kept me dry enough for the couple of hours I was outside. Most of the time I was on my knees on a garden kneeling stool as I dug out the soil to insert the stone slabs. As I write this on Saturday afternoon the work isn’t completed but there is no hurry. All the stone has been set in place at the front of the flowerbed I have been working on but the rear of the bed to the right of the larger greenhouse has yet to be done and then I have to fill in the gaps with a concrete mix as I have done elsewhere. I could have continued into the afternoon but I wanted a break from it. The small part of the bed on the extreme right of the bed contains rhubarb corms and was surrounded with stone about two years ago. When I took the photo of the flowerbed I took one of the right-hand end of the longest bed in the garden and now I am thinking of putting a stone edging there too. The part of this bed where the wall is exposed needs more plants to populate it though the plants already there will grow and fill out most of the space which now looks a little bare. The small tree on the right of that space is an oak tree and beneath it are the last few bluebell bulbs waiting to sprout in Spring and I am waiting to dig them out as E and I did with the others around the garden. Nice as bluebells are they spread all over the place and get out of hand if left alone. It might be a laborious prospect digging them out but it is the only sure way of getting them out. Already I am planning what to do next year!
Click on images to magnify or zoom in.