Preparation

I have always maintained that preparation is key for any project or eventuality. I don’t like starting any work, any project or task without having all the necessary materials to hand though if I know something I’ve ordered will be with me soon I will proceed as long as it doesn’t delay me too long. Presently I am waiting for materials before I will make any inroads to the project they are for. It might be that those materials will have to be sourced elsewhere if nothing happens soon. Anyway, thinking ahead I have purchased the materials I will need to protect some of the garden plants against the weather in the colder months. At the time of writing (21 st) two of the three main components have arrived and the third should be with me in the next day or so. Even now I am considering an alternative method for the project but haven’t decided which would be for the best. So obtaining materials for any project is a must before beginning the work and it gives me the incentive to start the work when I have the materials to hand. I can have no excuses for procrastination if I have made the preparations and there is little to prevent proceeding now can I? Well maybe but not always, especially if the work is outdoors and the weather prevents it. In the garden I have other things besides the lawn project but they have to wait until the end of autumn as it involves some heavy pruning though not pollarding of the damson (plums) trees we have in the Mound. There are too many of them and those we will keep need cutting back.

┬áThe picture doesn’t show the height of the trees but they are at least twice the height you can see. Gathering the plums is impossible unless we stand beneath them as they fall! It isn’t about the fruit though, it is more the appearance and management of the trees. The fruit is nice all the same. We may even take a couple of them out to allow the other plants to spread a little. The only preparation for this work is being available to do it. I don’t think there is a problem there do you?

Shirley Anne

Advertisements

It wasn’t quite ready

Medieval Tiles, Cleeve Abbey, Washford, Somerset
Medieval Tiles, Cleeve Abbey, Washford, Somerset (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

I had a job to do on Saturday morning a short distance from home. I don’t usually work on Saturdays in my electrical capacity but sometimes will make an exception to accommodate people in certain occupations who may not be able to take time off during the week, nurses, teachers and police personnel for example. Anyway I was out for most of the morning. After lunch E and I decided to scribe a datum line around the bathroom and fit some lengths of wood where the first row of tiles would be fitted as an aid to the guy doing the tiles. The bath was the main problem we faced as we had to move it around the room. After struggling for an hour or so I made up my mind to get it out of the room as it needed to be removed whilst the tiling was being done anyway. We only placed the bath in the room so that we could measure its position on the floor and see if it affected the positioning of the toilet and shower and we also had to decide where the drain pipe would have to be located for the bath itself. As the job progressed however it became evident that the bath was now in the way. We had to remove the bathroom door to get it into the room in the first place so it should have been easy to take it out again as the door was not replaced and will not be replaced until the room is all but completed. Of course when the bath was put in the room the room was empty but since then a wall has been constructed for the shower which made removing the bath difficult. Days ago I asked one of my sons to help me shift it out of the room but by Saturday afternoon he had still not come to help. I took the bull by the horns and did it myself with a little help from E. We had to stand the bath on its end to have any chance of getting it through the doorway and we had fitted some foam sheeting around the edges for protection so we wouldn’t damage it. I had to remove a couple of pieces of wood trim before it would pass through which hadn’t been necessary whilst putting it into the room. Even so it was tight, what an engineer might call an ‘interference’ fit! At last it was out on the stairway and we soon had it pushed along the landing far out-of-the-way. By the time that was done so was I! E did some tidying up and we left the room as ready as it could be for the tiler who was to come on Monday morning to start the work.

Shirley Anne

Enhanced by Zemanta